5 Ways to Exercise While You Shop
One of my big goals for 2015 is to eat healthier and exercise more. Time is very limited for me though so I’ve been looking for creative ways to get more exercise in. As a result, I present you with Five Ways to Exercise While You Shop!
Shopping for some is a necessity (think grocery store) while for others it’s a hobby (think the mall). Regardless of how you view shopping, I’m bringing you five simple things you can do while you shop to exercise your body a little bit more!
1. Don’t park near the entrance. I know you get excited when you score a spot right up front, but really think about it. Is that spot near the front really helping you? Instead of forcing your legs to walk the distance to the store, you’re taking the shortcut. If you park further from the entrance, then you’re adding extra steps for yourself, which means a little bit more exercise!
2. Take the stairs. Is there an option between an elevator and stairs? Escalator and stairs? Always take the stairs – going up and going down. It will take a little bit more effort, but not much more time. Your body will benefit from this choice.
3. Carry a basket instead of a pushing a cart. Not getting much? Elect to carry a basket and alternate it between your hands when you’re going through the store. When you’re waiting in line at the checkout counter, use the basket to do arm curl ups instead of checking your phone.
4. Walk the entire store. Are you at the grocery store? Only picking up a few items today? If time allows and you’re disciplined with a shopping list, then take the time to go up and down all of the aisles. It’s an easy way to get extra steps in.
5. Make multiple trips out to the car. If you’re like me, you probably like to grab as many bags as possible into your hands an struggle into your house or apartment. If you don’t overload, then you force yourself to make multiple trips back to the car which increases your steps. If you live in an apartment, you might even get the bonus of multiple stair trips! Really…who needs a Stairmaster?
These aren’t extensive workouts and they certainly aren’t going to make you suddenly fit. However, they are small modifications that you can make to increase the amount of walking you do in a day. After all, it all adds up to help your body!