It’s been a long road to where I am now. I have been working out consistently for the past 14 days. That’s a pretty big accomplishment for me. I normally take a break after day 5. As my success with sticking to this goal grows, I want to share a few things that I’ve learned along the way. Last week, I shared my secrets to staying motivated. This week, I want to share with you how you can find the perfect workout for you.
Finding your perfect workout is a lot like dating. You have to put yourself out there and try new things constantly. You might find your workout love on the first try or it might take ten failed attempts before you finally discover your match!
Tweet: Finding your perfect workout is a lot like dating. Find out why @hodgepodgepam says this here: http://bit.ly/1XeiYR9
I’m going to start by sharing some of my workout “dates” and how I felt about them. Then, I’m going to tell you what my favorite workout has been.
1. Running – This one wasn’t for me. I love the way runners look – but I don’t enjoy running as a form of exercise. It’s hard on my lungs and I find it somewhat boring.
2. Barre – I love the way my body feels after a barre workout. I can tell that I’ve worked my muscles. I love that it’s slow enough for my breathing but still a good workout that forces me to push my limits.
3. Yoga – I enjoy yoga but I have a really hard time slowing down for it. I have started using it for an active recovery (something I learned from 21 Day Fix) and it has been the perfect match for that!
4. Cardio – I love cardio workouts but I have to keep them short or my lungs give out. This is why I like the workouts that come with 21 Day Fix – they are only 30 minutes so I can recover easily.
5. Dance – I cannot say enough about how much I’m enjoying CIZE. I finish my workouts and feel like I need to schedule another one because they don’t feel like a workout.
6. PiYo – This is a pilates/yoga combination workout from Beachbody. (It’s also the workout on sale this month.) I enjoy working out to these DVDs when I need a break from more intense workouts.
7. Pole Fitness – I fell in love with pole fitness last year. It was the perfect fit for this former gymnast. After we moved out here, I had a hard time finding a studio I liked and that’s what led me to explore some of these other workout options.
8. Walking/Hiking – I love walking and hiking, especially if I have a friend to do it with. Sometimes I feel like this counts as a workout, other times I count it as an adventure.
9. The workouts I’m forgetting – If I’m forgetting a workout on this list, it’s probably because I didn’t enjoy our first date.
So which one was my perfect match? Through my many workout experiences, I have learned something big about myself – I like variety. I like taking the workouts I loved and mixing them up during the week. It helps keep me motivated and moving forward! I have a hard time sticking to just one program.
Tips for finding your own perfect workout:
1. Seek out gyms and studios near you. A lot of them offer the first workout free. Take advantage of this!
2. Ask friends for recommendations on workouts and studios. You’re friends because you like some of the same things. There’s a good chance that you might like the same workout.
3. Check YouTube for free videos. YouTube is great way to try something out before you commit to it.
4. Do your research! Search the internet and Pinterest to see what others are loving lately. Read blogs and Facebook posts to see if you can find a match for yourself.
5. Think about your interests. Do you love the outdoors or photography? Hiking might be right for you.
6. Think about the resources (including money and time) available to you. A gym might be out of the question if money is tight but a home workout could fit into your budget.
7. Look at my list and pick one to try! I’m happy to answer any and all questions about them in the comments!
What workouts have you tried? Which ones did you love? Which ones did you hate?