As you know, I’ve been enjoying my latest series Plate for One
. This series is focused on making healthy meals for yourself when you live alone. I hope you’ll take a moment to check out the other recipes in this series.
*Affiliate links are used in this post. They do not harm the reader in any way but they do allow me to support this blog and provide you with future recipes!*
My friends and family will tell you that I love pizza. I could eat it all the time. However, I also enjoy fitness and I’m trying to focus on my health more lately. Pizza definitely DOES NOT fall into the healthy category – until now. Tomorrow is National Cheese Pizza Day
so it’s the perfect time to share my easy and healthy recipe for making your own personal pizza at home! This recipe has many variations that you can make and I’ll include those throughout the recipe as needed.
Whole wheat sandwich thins
Tomato sauce (or pizza sauce)
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Additional toppings of choice (optional)
Cook & Prep Time: 15 minutes
Calories per serving (one pizza): 192 (will vary if you add more toppings)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Get out all of your ingredients. I used the Sandwich Thins
pictures below but you could also use pita bread, French bread slices, or bagel halves. (Remember – if you switch out any ingredients, that will effect the calorie count for this recipe.)
3. Add spices to your tomato sauce if desired. I buy the no salt added basic tomato sauce and add my own spices. This is an optional step, but it will make your meal healthier. (When you’re done, make sure you refrigerate or freeze the extra sauce to use again later!)
4. Place the sandwich thins on a baking sheet and add sauce on top. I added about two spoonfuls but you can adjust this to your liking. (I made two mini pizzas for the purpose of this post but I only ate one. I’m seeing how the other one does in the fridge as a leftover.)
5. Add cheese on top of the bagels. This is another point where you’ll have to judge it by preference. I added about 1/4 cup on each. If you’re doing other toppings this would be the time to add them as well.
6. Put your pizzas in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. The cheese should be melted at this point and the pizzas should be heated nicely.
7. Put your pizza on a plate, add your sides (I recommend fresh veggies and fruits.) and enjoy your dinner! I cut my pizza in half to make it easier to handle. Now you’re ready to celebrate National Cheese Pizza Day without a lot of waste or guilt!
So I’m curious…what’s your favorite type of pizza? I’m a cheese or pepperoni girl myself!