Self-care is a term I've seen around a lot lately. It's a term that keeps haunting me because I used to have a really hard time showing myself love. Recently, I have been making it more of a priority and I'm glad that I have. Taking care of yourself and showing yourself some love is an important part of living a less stressful and healthier lifestyle.
I spent this past weekend treating myself to a spa day and dinner at my favorite restaurant with a friend. We were celebrating my upcoming birthday early since I won't be in California on my actual birthday. It was a nice, relaxing day spent with little access to my phone. They weren't allowed in the spa area (I wouldn't have taken it in anyways since there was a lot of water around) and my phone was dying by the time we finished. It felt really nice to unplug and refocus, even if it was just for a day.
Going to a spa for the day might not be an option for you, so I've included a list of simpler, less expensive things you can do to show yourself some love. If you're not feeling loved, then it's hard to show love to everyone else around you. So, take a moment and do something for yourself in order to enjoy the people around you.
1. Get a pedicure.
2. Take a bubble bath.
3. Enjoy a glass of wine or a cup of tea.
4. Take a detox bath.
5. Take a walk.
6. Exercise. (You knew I was going to say this one!)
7. Go shopping. (Seriously - retail therapy is a thing!)
8. Make your favorite meal.
9. Go to the spa.
10. Get a massage. (They can be more affordable than you might think.)
11. Put on some soothing music and meditate.
12. Read a book.
13. Write a letter or write a journal entry.
14. Smile. (Sometimes you can fool your brain into thinking you're happy simply by smiling.)
15. Pull out your bucket list and complete an item. Don't have a bucket list? Create one!
16. Make a collage of your favorite inspirational items. Hang it somewhere you'll see it.
17. Write yourself love notes. Fold them up and put them in a jar for when you need a mood lifter.
18. Pull out the craft supplies and create something.
19. Light a candle. Good smells can improve your mood.
20. Watch a movie or find something new to enjoy on Netflix.
A lot of these can be done with friends, but I also recommend doing one or two by yourself sometime. Being able to enjoy yourself when no one else around is great skill to have. What's your favorite thing to do to show yourself some love?